Wednesday 8 December 2010

Body/mind



As I have a break in my Shiatsu course until May next year I have been using the opportunity to read some books which have been on the ‘when time allows’ pile.

The first was ‘The Molecules of Emotion’ by Candace Pert. I had some problems getting passed her writing style but once I settled in became gripped by what she is saying.

I have been trying to get connected to my body; I often feel like I am a mind being carried around by ‘whatever’ with very little conscious information available from my body. I have been working on changing this by various methods including insight meditation, breathing and running.
I am making some progress, it feels slow but then I have 45 years of disconnection to deal with so I’m being gentle on myself.

Candace talks about the physiological basis for emotions and explains it rather well; the information has allowed me to construct a western medical model of the body/mind connection. I know I should not need this type of western endorsement but like so many in the eastern alternative field I do seem to crave it.
But more than that it has allowed me to gain greater access into my body/mind having now an image as to what is going on on a molecular level. This has proved very useful and has allowed some deep connections with subjects and emotions in a way not previously possible. It feels like I am able to bypass by logical brain and use my body to connect to emotions and memories directly.

It’s been powerful and strange but also thrilling and exciting. I would recommend the book to everyone with a body or a mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment