Wednesday 9 December 2015

Speech


For me Donald Trump has brought to mind an important idea in Buddhism; 'Right Speech'.
It's one of the Noble Eightfold Path and is often contained in the precepts that one can take. 

People brought up in theistic societies have to be a little careful when they approach Buddhist ideas of 'Right' or precepts as they (we) tend to jump to commandments (thow shalt not). They are not commandments, they are nearer to suggestions. The reason for the difference would take ages to explain, just go with it. 

So if we accept that they are suggestions what's to stop us breaking them? 

Well let's look at Right Speach. It's broken down in lots of different ways depending on the Budhist tradition and ones teacher. But a common idea is speaking in a way that promotes harmony and does not promote discord. 

If we go back to why we should follow them and what's to stop us breaking them. We can clearly see what happens when we don't follow Right Speech. Things go wrong, people get upset, things get said back, arguments start, fights break out, wars happen. It's as plain as the nose on your face. 

But like the nose on your face it can be hard to spot. The temptation to say something (which we know won't help) is often so strong. Or we loose sight of our self and say things before we realise. It's not until we get the feedback (a cross look, a punch in the face) that we think, ah maybe that was not Right Speech. The Buddhist approach to realising that we have lost right speech is to just go back to the desire and commitment to keeping right speech. 

But rather than waiting for external feedback we can use or bodies to self monitor. Wrong speech feels wrong.  There is a change in our bodies before and during 'wrong' speech. It's probably different for others but for me; my chest and stomach tighten, my mind freezes a little, my breathing changes, I feel my body getting tight or hard...... There are clear signs that things are changing and not for the better. If I notice in time I can not say what I was about to, if I'm a little slow I can stop saying what I'm saying and if I'm very slow I can start apologising earlier! 

In the Buddhist tradition I'm part of, Right Speech comes before (this is way simplified) Right Thought and Right Mindfullness. One may have difficulties thinking right thoughts but no one knows; until they become Wrong Speech or Wrong Action. One has to do Wrong or better Right Speach and the doing gives a little more time to be aware

Having the awareness takes dedicated practice, being aware is not something one just gets, then it's there forever.  One has to be vigilant all the time.  But the alternative is really not good as Donald has demonstrated so well. 

2 comments:

  1. Am I right in thinking that you are thinking that Right Thought comes before Right Speech? Because you are speaking that Right Speech comes before Right Thought, but then you say that "one may have difficulties thinking right thoughts but no one knows", but what you say there shows that you know that thought come before speech, right? I guess Donald Trump puts speech before thought, opens mouth and puts foot into it. Did you see the new Banksy cartoon that appeared in the migrant camp in Calais of Steve Jobs - whose father was a Syrian migrant to the USA? - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that in the classic Buddhist list of the Eightfold Path what, I refer to as Right Thought (which might be seen as Right Mindfulness)tends to come after Right Speech. My very limited understanding shows that the 'stages' of the eightfold path have to be approached and tackled at the same time; or more likely as they arise. I was thinking about the amount of damage that one can do with Not Right Speech. I can have all sorts of unskillful thoughts (and I know that in the long run I need to have fewer) but if I don't say them less harm is done. Dogen said that one should think 3 times before planning to say anything and then one should only say 1 out of 10 of those. It would be great if we all, including Donald, could put this into practice a little more; but dinner parties might be very long! The Banksy work is interesting, thanks.

      Delete